The Nokia 5800 XpressMusic has been connected to a desktop PC via bluetooth using WeeWheel, only to experience the thrill of using a mobile phone as a controller. WeeWheel is the application that utilizes the built in accelerometer to detect movement and converts it into joystick-like signals for your PC. Check out the short video demo after the break.
Diversity | Nokia’s Handset Productions In Beijing
David Tang, VP of Nokia China tells us how Nokia’s Beijing factory uses the same standards and practices as other Nokia manufacturing facilities, with the same levels of quality and high standards seen elsewhere. Check out the Nokia in China video after the break.
S60 Theme | tehkBlack Ovi by tehkSEVEN
tehkBlack Ovi by tehkSEVEN is a contrast of the Just Light theme recently released. It includes a bunch of Ovi styled icons that cover all of the default and system icons as well as various 3rd party icons. This theme is available for all S60 3rd edition and 5th edition devices and is great for having that simple minimalist look.
You can download the tehkBlack Ovi theme for your particular device here.
New Firmware PR 1.1 (v2.2009.51-1) | Nokia N900 (inc. Changelog)
Nokia has just released the first major firmware update PR1.1 – v2.2009.51-1 for the Nokia N900 following the minor update that was released earlier this week. The new firmware brings along a host of new features and usability improvements including full compatibility with certain SIM cards from service provider 3. Mail for Exchange has been updated with support for Microsoft Exchange Server 2003, and Ovi Maps sees improvements made to the search performance and route calculation. If you already installed the first update you will automatically receive a notification that a new update is available for their device. If you prefer not to update to the 89.5 MB firmware via FOTA (Firmware-Over-The-Air), you can also install the update using NSU (Nokia Software Updater) on your PC. Note that updating your device via NSU may delete some data so ensure you make a back up your device. Check out the long extensive changelog after the break.
- Hutchison SIM cards are supported.
- MS Exchange 2003 support.
- Bootloader (Nolo) can be updated over Maemo Update.
- Cellular software can be updated over Maemo Update.
- Icon cache removed to allow more memory space for Maemo Update.
- Application Manager: Available space check moved to apt-worker for more accurate results.
- Improvements in SGX performance and reliability.
Use-time and power consumption
- API for status area applets to detect if they are invisible/absent.
- Fixes to Pulseaudio timer increasing power saving when starting/closing apps.
- Browser: Removed unnecessary serial logging.
- Reduction of wake-ups in Desktop, Connectivity, Conversations, RSS Feed Reader,
- Backup handles correctly directories containing pairs of symlinks.
- Less CPU load caused during video recording.
- Support disabling Virtual Keyboard in input field.
- Performance improvements in Browser.
- Lock: “swipe to unlock” will not stay on.
- CPU idle latencies and thresholds updated.
- Fixing eMMC data lines while sleeping.
- CellMO power consumption reduced.
- Volume button operation in call flipped based on audio routing (no more on screen orientation).
- Browser: Downloading & rendering of page content runs promptly.
- Helping to avoid capacity limits of rootfs when installing apps (make Docpurge aware of /opt).
- Stability and usability fixes to the Profiles applet. Selection, usage and restoring of ringtones.
- Fast call from home shortcuts.
- Fast SMS rejection of incoming call.
- Avoid false alarms in pocket.
- Silence ringing by flipping face down.
- Fix to Camera photo orientation problem: correct orientation is now written to EXIF.
- X: performance of GLES apps improved.
- Lower RAM consumption while capturing video.
- Phone-UI & Msg-UI always ready to appear.
- Application Manager UI speed improvements.
- Email faster with large mailboxes.
- Large file copy (SD->MMC) doesn’t degrade system performance.
- Route calculation and search performance improved.
- BT Secure Simple Pairing fixed for Windows Vista.
- BT transfer progress indicated.
- Improving WLAN connection stability.
- Improved WLAN negotiation when going out of reach of access point.
- Add voicemail shortcut support.
- Showing call forwarding correctly when busy forwarding is not set.
- Call log improved.
Audio & Video
- Audio volume control works with +/- keys in full-screen playback of flash.
- Handling corrupted ring tone files better.
- HW volume keys always have same orientation.
- Media Player UI now provides feedback when tapping control buttons in video playback.
- MIC input not clipped when loud voice in VoIP call.
- Pulseaudio: Ringtone is heard from the loudspeaker if BT connected.
- Ringtone played both to headset (BT or wired) and to internal HF speakers.
- AV sync fix for recorded videos.
- ISO EXIF value for images saved when automatic sensitivity in use.
- Vignetting test of 2nd camera fixed, VGA sensor stability.
Battery and Charging
- Improved charging in case of low charging power (PC USB charging).
- Fixing the USB detection and card mounting issue related to quickly attaching/detaching the cable.
- Able to format corrupted eMMC properly.
- Hang fixed in case of WLAN disconnection while copying files.
- Activesync supports now MS Exchange 2003.
- Activesync – fixes the forwarding of attachments showing incorrect sizes (Exchange server 2003).
- Content copier of PC Suite enabled. Whole content backup (including Notes) can now be restored from PCSuite.
3rd party applications
- Policy-settings: Fixes rotation transition in for 3rd party applications.
- Policy-settings: By default, 3rd party apps should have the same limits as our applications.
- Public API for color picker. Home widget is now translucent.
- Set/get alarms API.
- Syncing of task alarms supported.
- Thumbnailing faster.
- Rename Maemo Extras to maemo.org and enable by default.
- Grid view applied for the categories in download view. Added API for filtering packages.
- SDK content and tools updated.
- SDK GUI installer updated.
- New sharing-dialog-dev package added to enable Bluetooth and email sending.
- New wappushd-dev package documenting MMS interfaces available.
Upstream Security Issues
- Fix for CVE-2009-2417 in curl.